Introduction: With the increased importance placed on cultivating a translational workforce, there has been demand for emergency dispatching professionals to be more involved in research activities intended to improve patient outcomes. Through interviewing emergency dispatch professionals who attended a research training program, this project sought to better understand how to create more effective research partnerships with practitioners interested in doing research relevant to their field.
Methods: Semi-structured phone interviews were conducted with those who participated in at least one instance (April 10-11, 2017, New Orleans, Louisiana; April 22-23, 2018, Las Vegas, Nevada) of the International Academies of Emergency Dispatch’s Emergency Dispatch Research Workshop to elucidate aspects of their experiences most relevant to creating effective research partnerships.
Results: Experiencing belonging, experiencing greater access, and making research fit the workplace were key themes identified relevant to creating effective research partnerships between the emergency dispatch professionals and mentors.
Conclusion: Those venturing into research might feel like they do not “belong” in a research community. For organizations seeking to improve their research engagement, it is recommended that measures be taken to ensure those new to a research community experience a sense of belonging.
- Marvasi M, Sebastian G, Lorenzo SJ. Fostering researcher identity in STEM distance education: impact of a student-led on-line case study. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2019;366(6):fnz068. doi:10.1093/femsle/fnz068
- Hamilton K, Dunnett S, Downey H. Researcher identity: exploring the transformatory power of the research experience. J Consum Behav. 2012;11(4):275-282. doi:10.1002/cb.1386
- Carter S, Liew S, Brown G, Moaveni AK. Barriers to Completion of Research Projects Among Orthopaedic Trainees. J Surg Educ. 2018;75(6):1630-1634. doi:10.1016/j.jsurg.2018.04.00
- Gill S, Levin A, Djurdjev O, Yoshida E. Obstacles to residents’ conducting research and predictors of publication. Acad Med. 20 01;76(5):477.
- McDonnell L, Stratton P, Butler S, Cape N. Developing research-informed practitioners – an organizational perspective. Counselling and Psychotherapy Research. 2012;12(3):167-177. doi:10.1080/14733145.2012.682594
- Cusick A. Research training as occupational socialization: doing research and becoming researchers. Asian Social Science. 2015;11(2):252-261.
- World Health Organization. World report on knowledge for better health: strengthening health systems. Geneva: World Health Organization, 2004.
- Jacobson N, Butterill D, Goering P. Development of a framework for knowledge translation: understanding user context. J Health Serv Res Po. 2003;8(2):94-99.
- Ward V, House A, Hamer S. Developing a framework for transferring knowledge into action: a thematic analysis of the literature. J Health Serv Res Po. 2009;14(3):156-164.
- Morris ZS, Wooding S, Grant J. The answer is 17 years, what is the question: understanding time lags in translational research. J R Soc Med. 2011;104(12):510-520.
- About the CTSA Program. National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences. ncats.nih.gov/ctsa/about. Updated September 18, 2019. Accessed June 18, 2020.
- Gardett I, Clawson J, Scott G, Barron T, Patterson B, Olola C. Past, present, and future of emergency dispatch research: A systematic literature review. Annals Emerg Disp Resp. 2013;1(2):29-42.
- Scott G, Broadbent M, Gardett I, Sangaraju S, Clawson J, Olola C. Barriers significantly influence time to bystander compressions in Out-of-Hospital Cardiac Arrest. Annals Emerg Disp Resp. 2019;7(1):17-23.
- Buck B, Starkman S, Eckstein M, et al. Dispatcher recognition of stroke using the national academy medical priority dispatch system. Stroke. 2009;40(6):2027-2030.
- Svensson M, Pesamaa O. How does a caller’s anger, fear, and sadness affect operators’ decisions in emergency calls? Int Rev Soc Psychol. 2018;31(1):1-7.
- Olola C, Scott G, Gardett I, Downs H, Stockman B, Clawson J. Research literacy among emergency dispatchers at an emergency communication center: developing a capacity for evidence-based practice at dispatch (a pilot report). Annals Emerg Disp Resp. 2016;4(1):22-26.
- Black A, Balneaves L, Garossino C, Puyat J, Qian H. Promoting evidence-based practice through a research training program for point-of-care clinicians. J Nurs Admin. 2015;45(1):14-20.
- Cypress B. Qualitative research methods: a phenomenological focus. Dimens Crit Care Nurs. 2018;37(6):302-309.
- Braun V, Clarke V. Using thematic analysis in psychology. Qual Res Psychol. 2006;3(2);77-101.
- Bozeman B, Corley E. Scientist’s collaboration strategies: implications for scientific and technical human capital. Res Policy. 2004;33(4);599-616.
- Ledford CJW, Meeusen DA, Villagran MM, Caffery LA, Childress MA. Resident scholarship expectations and experiences: sources of uncertainty as barriers to success. J Grad Med Educ. 2013; 5(4): 564-569.
- Slaten C, Elison Z, Lee J, Yough M, Scalise D. Belonging on campus: a qualitative inquiry of Asian international students. The Counseling Psychologist. 2016;44(3):383-410.
- Ericson-Lidman E. Struggling between a sense of belonging and a sense of alienation: Residents’ experiences of living in a residential care facility for older people in Sweden. Nord J Nurs Res. 2019;39(3):143-151.
- National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, Medicine. Committee on How People Learn II: The Science Practice of Learning. (2018). How people learn II: Learners, contexts, and cultures (Consensus study report).
- Walton G, Cohen G. A brief social-belonging intervention improves academic and health outcomes of minority students. Science. 2011;331(6023):1447-1451.
- Layous K, Davis E, Garcia J, Purdie-Vaughns V, Cook J, Cohen G. Feeling left out, but affirmed: Protecting against the negative effects of low belonging in college. J Exp Soc Psychol. 2017.69:227-231.
- Steel CM. A threat in the air: how stereotypes shape intellectual identity and performance. Am Psychol. 1997;52(6):613-629.
- Castelló M, McAlpine L, Sala-Bubaré A, Inouye K, Skakni I. What perspectives underlie ‘researcher identity’ A review of two decades of empirical studies. High Educ. 2020. doi:10.1007/s10734-020-00557-8.